Monday, September 22, 2014

First sleeve syndrome

There is a popular feeling amongst knitters that second sock syndrome and second sleeve syndrome (or sleeve island) is a problem for many.   I have never felt that was the case for me,  I finish the first item, immediately cast on for the second and off I go,  no problems.   This past week I have I realised why this is the case. 

I suffer from first sleeve and sock syndrome instead.  I get halfway down the first sleeve/sock and feel like it is neeeeeeevvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrrr going to end.   I can't see any progress and feel like the sleeve/sock is taking forever to get anywhere.   I push myself,  I persevere and eventually after putting the item down many, many times and knitting on various other items,  I eventually get to the end of the first sleeve or sock I am working on. 

All of a sudden I have great enthusiasm to keep on going because as soon as the second sleeve or sock is done,  I am finished! 

This has happened with my second James jumper.   I finished the body on the 7th of August and it took me until yesterday to finish the first sleeve, struggling the whole way, that's 6.5 weeks for one sleeve (with lots of other easy, quick knitting happening instead).   This morning I got up, picked up the jumper,  put the stitches for the second sleeve on the needle and off I went, I have completed two of the twelve decreases and the end is in sight.   I am full steam ahead now! 


As long as second sleeve syndrome doesn't arrive I should have a completed jumper in a few days ☺

2 comments:

kgirlknits said...

haha, that's the first time I've heard of that one! I like your up-side though - once it's done, then end is soooo close.

One cardigan I knitted recently had you knit the yoke, then the sleeves, then finish with the body. I thought that was a good method as far as keeping motivated.

2paw said...

That is very amusing!!!! I am glad you don't have second sock/sleeve syndrome!! It is a nice jumper.