Monday, June 30, 2014

Finishitis - Startitis


I have finished my most recent big project: The jumper is James by Amy Miller in Tosh Merino Light in the Grey Garden colourway that I bought at Bendigo last year.  I have knit it on 4 mm needles and love the fabric.  It used just less than 3 skeins which was fantastic and it relaxed a little once I washed/blocked it.  I am going to have to do a row of stabilising stitching around the neckline as my one mistake was my original cast on, which should have been a cable cast on or some other non-stretchy cast on, but I used my usual backwards loop cast on which stretches beautifully.   Not something you particularly want on a neckline!  I have worn it a few times already and it is lovely and warm for a 4 ply.  I have more Tosh Merino Light in another colourway (black currant) and it is VERY tempting to make this again.  Pattern is very straightforward and easy to follow and uses clever short row shaping to make the neckline.  Definitely going to get a lot of wear out of this one!

Getting photos of my garments is always a chore, I am super critical of myself in photos and find it really hard to get shots I like.  This time round after a false start by me, I employed the services of my 6 and 8 year sons.  It only took us 6 shots this time.

I tried first and had trouble aiming the camera:


Then the 6 year old tried, he had trouble with the focussing:


 The 6 year old tried again and got better focus but found it hard to hold the camera steady:


 Then the 6 year old with instructions to just do the jumper, he had great composition but the camera was just too heavy for him to manage.


 So the 8 year old was called in and he did a great job with the focussing and composition:


And after being reminded I just wanted the jumper in the shot, he took the photo shown here:


Not bad for a bunch of amateurs!

Now of course I want to finish the little things that are hanging around, 2 pairs of socks (the orange ones and the green/black ones) and a scarf and cast on the next round of things.  I have started and finished 2 hats in the past week the Cloche enough for Jazz and the Library Cloche, they are both drying now and will hopefully go to their new home tomorrow.  A friend is going through chemo and her hair has begun to fall out so these will be a welcome addition to her wardrobe for the current and continuing cold weather.

So the needles will be emptying out very soon and I'm looking around for the next option.  With the annual trek to Bendigo for the Australian Wool and Sheep show fast approaching maybe it will be small things until I've seen what the new yarn options might be!

3 comments:

kgirlknits said...

Bless, these photo outtakes made me smile!!

Congrats on a lovely FO - it looks gorgeous on you

Kate said...

I love the click-by-click photoshoot :)
I shall have to admire your new jumper up close, see what the fabric is like - I haven't started my Mad Tosh cardi yet, you will have to be my inspiration!

2paw said...

Well, that pretty much looks like what happens when I take a photo. It is a great jumper, I really like the style and it looks great!!