Monday, April 7, 2014

Cobwebs

It does indeed feel like there are cobwebs in here.  I have ideas of just posting photos of where I am at on projects with minimal words, I have plans of posting weekly.  All these plans fall away when life throws curve balls and the reality is this space isn't going anywhere, so I can come back here when I do have the time and space to do so, and that is good.  There has been so much going on in real life that finding the time or energy to post here just hasn't happened.  In the past 4 months there has been part-time regular work for me, a shortened family beach holiday, 2 funerals, worry for family affected by the Mine fire in Morwell, a term of school, worry for my Mum as Long Service Leave turned into unexpected unemployment, a trip to hospital for a green stick (buckle) fracture for the youngest, and the sale of J's family home as his Mum downsizes.  And that is the way life goes.

Soooooo, this past weekend I went away with Mum for a quilting weekend.  After a rocky start where we weren't sure if it would go ahead, Mum stitched, unpicked and restitched a red and white square for a charity quilt and finished a patchwork bag she had been working on.  Some 1/4 inch feet just don't do a 1/4 inch seam!

I worked on the shadow quilt I began at last year's weekend away and came home with all of the coloured squares attached and all 4 layers pinned together ready for quilting.  The final quilt will be approximately 2.4 m x 2.4 m and will be for my bedroom.  Seen here folded in half and hanging over the sides of the bed.


My next quilt is going to be a pieced Storm at Sea quilt in navy and white prints also eventually for my bed.  So far it is still all in pieces and I still need to do some more cutting before it is ready to be sewn but it is indeed getting there!


The challenge will be to continue working on both of these projects when knitting is a lot easier to pick up and put down.

I recently completed my Lily Cardigan in a gorgeous grey which, as the weather cools, will be getting a lot of wear as it will go with pretty much everything.



I currently have two cardigans and a pair of socks on the needles.  One cardigan just needs a sleeve, the second cardigan needs 2 sleeves and half a front, and the sock is sort of in limbo.  I can't decide whether to frog the sock and make it smaller or keep going and give it to someone with larger feet than me.  Decisions, decisions!


2 comments:

2paw said...

Oh the Lily cardigan is beautiful and looks great. Why have I not knitted this??? There has certainly been a lot of life happening at your house.
Oh yes, the 1/4 inch seam which I have learned the hard way is often really meant to be a scant 1/4 inch seam. I now know to set my needle at 5.5 to get a scant seam. Your quilt is so lovely!!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Yes, life is bumpy and gets in the way of the best laid plans. It's nice to find time to be in our creative spaces though, including our blogs.