Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Updates

It's the school holidays and this is the first one where I have to admit to being a bit at a loose end.  The youngest turned 6 this week, he really is no longer a baby in so many ways.  He is playing happily with his brothers and for a few days it has been a case of  "here's your food kids" and that's it, they've been self maintaining all day.  This afternoon we need to go out and get some new shoes for one of them so that will require me to use all of my shepherding skills for a while!  It has meant that I had time to detail the car interior the other day and I don't have someone hanging off me every other minute of the day.  But that dependence?  I'm going to miss it.  Of course when a fever kicks in and they feel like crap I'm the first lap they crawl into and snuggle up in so all is not outgrown yet :-)

All three of the boys are currently playing in their room making a cubby house, declaring a password on the door for entry and from the giggles, I suspect, using Photo Booth to make crazy pictures on the iPad Mini the youngest bought with money saved over the last 12-18 months from 2 Birthdays and at least one Christmas.  He has been dedicated in his saving and this most recent birthday furnished him with the needed funds to complete his purchase.  We were lucky we found a special, $60 off, or he'd still be saving.  I have to acknowledge the irony of yet another i-device in the house.  I am an android user, it works well for my brain.  I have a personal very strong dislike for the criminal masterminds who came up with Apple's business model including convincing their users that an upgrade of the OS is not the same as a virus.  I have to agree, from the various comments each time it happens, generally it's worse!  I know that there are so many i-device users out there, but I wish we weren't 5 of them. We would have less of them in this house if any of the android people made an equivalent to the iPod touch which was the first invader in this house, however once two kids have i-devices there is no hope of getting the third not to be, because they all want to play all the same games and getting copies of everything on two different platforms becomes expensive.  So despite my misgivings, it seems like we are falling down the rabbit warren.  It doesn't help that with the job I picked up a couple of weeks ago I need to use an iPad (supplied and owned by them and returned to them at the end of the position) so it looks like we will be all i-deviced up :-S  The other side of it is of course that the kids will be well up on the popular culture aspect of electronic devices and will be on a par with their peers, but arghhh Apple.

The kittens are now almost 12 months old and today they must be feeling the cold :-)


My Dad has been playing with his design for the knitting box I requested from him last year and he has upgraded my original to this beautiful box.  This is a much lighter version with a handle that can be used to carry it without hurting fingers.  I now have to cast on all the things to put something inside it :-)


Knitting Finishes:
I finished the Thyone Cardy I was working on and it has been sent to it's new home.  Yarn: Wollmeise DK in Colourways Oohm (blue) and Maus Alt (grey).

 
I finished the socks for me and they are now in the sock drawer.  They are a bit crispy to the hand while knitting so I will see how they wear in sock form.  Yarn: Ewe Give Me The Knits Sock yarn from Bendigo in July this year.


Current projects:
I have made a start on the Harvest Moon, it is 3 balls in out of 10 so nice progress there.  Another centimetre or two and then sleeve separation. Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage in colourway Mulled Wine.


I started a new pair of socks, these ones will be going to the teacher that the youngest has this year.  The teahcer has made it such a great start to the year and we are very grateful for the way he has encouraged and challenged our child to be his best and make astounding progress during the course of the year.  The teacher has very long feet but that's ok I'm using 6 ply sock yarn :-)  Yarn: Zauberball Starke 6 colourway Domino.


My jumper is now almost done, working on the second sleeve, then all it needs is a pick up and cast off neckline and it will be done.  Yarn: Wollmeise Lace colourway WD Neptune.


Will have to pick up the Tempest and do some work on that next, love the colours, can't wait to have the cardy :-)  Yarn: Wollmeise 100% Merino colurways Neptune Medium and Skarabaus.


What's next?
I need to whip up a quick pair of mitts using the left over yarn from the Thyone, they will have the blue as the cuff and the grey as the hand and the zig zag pattern between to match the cardy.

I've got a strong feeling that I need more jumpers and cardigans for me and I now have at least 5 garment lots of yarn available to make things with so I'm looking at patterns.  Top contenders are: Elphaba pullover (Rav link), Lily cardigan (Rav link), Austin Hoodie.  I'm alternating between fitted and loose but generally prefer cardigans for everything except the dead of Winter.  Any ideas of other options???

I was planning on making dresses for my nieces, but I seem to have become side tracked...



3 comments:

toffle said...

how about
audrey by Jane Richmond - or is it just me who loves a cardi with no purl?
Raindrops by tincanknits - pullover
or Lush but that is DK u seem to have fingering?
Alecia Beth of Alice in wonderland? Um, I seem to be going thru my library and throwing my ideas at you...
i can live vicariously....

2paw said...

Bah Humbug, I left a message and the box ate it. I said: lovely cardigans, I love the Tempest pattern, Cute kittens they are gorgeous. Where does the time go?? I am too lazy to type it all again!!

Lynne said...

I'm glad to hear the school holidays went well. I love my iPad so I can understand your family's obsession. Not sure what you mean about virus! I have not yet upgraded to the latest version of OS after reading about someone hacking the system within 24 hours then putting a "how I did it" video on YouTube!

There are so many beautiful cardigan patterns on Ravelry -- it's so hard to choose one or two!