Sunday, December 25, 2011

Slowing down

It seems funny to be two days before Christmas and writing about slowing down but, yes, we are, and I am, slowing down.  Yesterday the two big boys finished at school and on Tuesda the littlest one finished up.  So as of this morning, we are slowing down.  All of the child related Christmas events have ended: Kinder break up for the child's group and for the whole Kinder, Childcare break up, Class Christmas parties, School Carols and Sports night, Orientations for next year, tennis and swimming lessons are done for the year as well.  My Committee related events have finished up: AGM, Handover, End of Year Christmas Party, tieing (why is that not a real word? To tie doesn't have a "y" why would tieing be spelt tying?)  up loose ends on the positions I've held this year.  Now I just have to put things into the right piles and pass them onto the next people holding the positions. Everything is starting to slow down.  We've had Christmas with my family earlier in the month and we are doing Christmas lunch with Jules' family and then lunch with his cousins on Boxing Day and that's it.  Nothing here, just us and possibly my sister and BIL and niece at some point, all nice and easy.  Ahhhhhhhh.  Nice!

The clearing the decks has been happening in fits and starts, it's amazing how much less time I've had this month compared to last month.  Here I was thinking I'd have time to clean and in the end everything is in pretty much the same state as at the beginning of the month.  Oh except we've been out to various functions and knitting has been happening for gifts so other stuff has been happening, just not clearing!  But between Christmas and New Years we have no plans so that's when it will be happening, I hope!

Onto the knitting.

I'm working on a cowl in Black Wollmeise for a friend.  It's coming along nicely, almost halfway there.  I was knitting on it yesterday at a friend's house while watching the boys play in the pool and it's such a simple pattern it just keeps going around and around, relaxing really.

I've made two scarves for the Teachers of the big boys.  I dove into the stash and came up with two skeins of Debbie Bliss Pure silk, one in a beautiful off white and the other a pink I'm having trouble describing, so you'll just have to look at the pictures.  I think it has been described as Strawberry, but there's less red than I'd expect for Strawberry.  I winged the pattern, wanted something patterny on the ends and plain through the middle, so played until something looked good :-)

Have cast on for a pair of socks, the yarn was at the ready, the pattern is Cookie A's Sake which is very pretty, have worked out whether I need to make adjustments because the pattern is only for one size.  Once I've done that I'll be casting on :-)



5 comments:

le@thirdontheright said...

loving that delightful pink - is it a bit dusky pink ... happy hols to you dear one - best le xox

Lynne said...

Merry Christmas to you and the family - take a deep breath and enjoy the "peace" of January!

kgirl said...

gorgeous teacher scarves - lucky things! Enjoy your winding down time, hope it's a lovely break

Kate said...

Merry Christmas! Relaxing sounds wonderful - how nice not to have to rush around preparing for visitors or huge meals. I hope the weather is less exciting and the kids are happily entertained, leaving you some quality free time!

2paw said...

Merry Christmas, I'm glad you are finding a little time to relax and enjoy the festive season!! Beautiful scarves!!! The pink/red one is hard to put a colour name to!!