Saturday, June 18, 2011

2011 FO #16 - Kerry's Fa Fa Fa socks

Another swap, knitting and payment yarn was Wollmeise again...can we see a pattern here?
These socks were knit for an elderly friend of Kerry who has been feeling the Canberra cold.  While the pattern was written top down, the job request asked to use up as much of the yarn as possible so I changed the pattern to toe-up and split the skein by winding it into a ball and then winding it again with the outside and inside ends held together so a double strand was wound.  This double stranded ball was then wound into two separate balls.  I know of someone who knits two at a time this way, but I'm not a two at a time kind of girl so I split it into two balls and cut the yarn.  In the end there was about 8 metres difference between the two balls, so not bad really.


The socks have a lovely easy cable pattern and ended up being close to knee high when they were done, the cable giving some negative ease so hopefully they will stay up nicely and keep cold footsies warm.



Vital Statistics
Pattern:  Fa Fa Fa Socks by Lois Leong and Wendy D. Johnson's Fingering Weight Toe-Up Socks with Gusset and Slip-Stitch Heel
Yarn:  Wollmeise Sockenwolle 80/20 Twin in the Pesto colourway.
Needles:  2.5  mm Knit Pro circulars with Nickel tips, Aero 2.75 and 3.0 mm circular needles.
Started:  May 12, 2011
Finished:  June 5, 2011
Mods:  Instead of top down, I knit these toe-up with Judy's  Magic cast on, and the instructions from Wendy D. Johnson's Fingering Weight Toe-Up Socks were used as a guideline for when and where to shape. Did all of the foot then 5 repeats of the pattern on 2.5 mm needles on 64 sts , then did 2 repeats on 2.75mm and then 4 repeats on 3.0mm then 10 rows of cuff.
Comments:  Really pleased with how these turned out :-)
Ravelled here.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Love the socks! And you know I love me a little bit of Wollmeise in green!

Lynne said...

Lovely - you did a great job!

Rose Red said...

How lush, a pair of lovely green almost knee high wollmeise socks! I love the simple cable!

Melissa said...

That green is gorgeous! A lovely pair of socks, great cable!

2paw said...

I love the pattern and the colour is just wonderful. Such good length too. I weigh my wool when I halve it, then I just have to wind once. I am lazy!!