Apart from the square which we all did, I completed the whole of the top of a quilt for me including layering the backing fabric with the wadding and the top and pinning it all together ready for quilting. The pattern which I used was from the Down Under Quilts annual for 2006 which was Issue #98 and is called Bamboo Screen by Petal Davies. The quilt in the magazine uses two black and white fabrics and a contrasting orange for the centres of the tilted squares, I wanted something a little different and also wanted to emphasize the "panel" effect by highlighting the individual panels.
So here is how it went
I started with these strips that I cut out during the week, the green underneath is the backing fabric.
They were sewn together into strips of three with the patterned piece in the middle
They were then cut into tilted squares using the template provided in the pattern
Then the squares were laid out to check colour arrangement options
Once the order of colours was settled upon, the sections were sewn together
And then the borders were added to complete the quilt top.
It isn't a big quilt, it measures at 123 x 127 cm (48.5 x 50 inches) but it will be plenty big enough to keep me warm on the couch on cool evenings. Mum mentioned that she thought the quilt would have been bigger and we suspect that by making the strips wider and longer it would be quite easy to upsize this quilt and keep it looking good.
I also put together a two layer quilt using a piece of polar fleece and a piece of cotton for my cousin who has just given birth to twins. I'll post those photos in a different post.
So a very successful weekend. Lots of lovely food and company and a respite from the day to day at home. Time well spent :-)