Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The weekend that was away

This past weekend I went away to the middle of Gippsland to a small and comfortable resort at Rawson for a UFO Quilting weekend with my Mum and a long time family friend.  There were 90 women in attendance all working on a project of some sort of their own and during the course of the weekend we all completed one quilt square using provided materials and pattern called a "Friendship square" which were sewn together into 3 completed quilt tops to be finished off by one of the quilting groups and donated to charity.  I had a lovely time and am waiting for Mum to let me know when next years UFO weekend is on so I can put in the diary.

Apart from the square which we all did, I completed the whole of the top of a quilt for me including layering the backing fabric with the wadding and the top and pinning it all together ready for quilting.  The pattern which I used was from the Down Under Quilts annual for 2006 which was Issue #98 and is called  Bamboo Screen by Petal Davies.  The quilt in the magazine uses two black and white fabrics and a contrasting orange for the centres of the tilted squares, I wanted something a little different and also wanted to emphasize the "panel" effect by highlighting the individual panels.



So here is how it went
I started with these strips that I cut out during the week, the green underneath is the backing fabric.


They were sewn together into strips of three with the patterned piece in the middle


They were then cut into tilted squares using the template provided in the pattern


Then the squares were laid out to check colour arrangement options


Once the order of colours was settled upon, the  sections were sewn together


 And then the borders were added to complete the quilt top.


It isn't a big quilt, it measures at 123 x 127 cm (48.5 x 50 inches) but it will be plenty big enough to keep me warm on the couch on cool evenings.  Mum mentioned that she thought the quilt would have been bigger and we suspect that by making the strips wider and longer it would be quite easy to upsize this quilt and keep it looking good.

I also put together a two layer quilt using a piece of polar fleece and a piece of cotton for my cousin who has just given birth to twins. I'll post those photos in a different post.

So a very successful weekend.  Lots of lovely food and company and a respite from the day to day at home.  Time well spent :-)

6 comments:

2paw said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend and your quilt is just so lovely. I agree, it could easily be made larger. What a wonderful thing to be able to complete a whole quilt top!!!

Lynne S of Oz said...

I'm with 2paw - I was going to say it sounds like a fab weekend away with some excellent results :-)

Lynne said...

Oooo! I want to go!

Lovely quilt - congratulations.

DD and I are off to our first "real" quilt workshop this Saturday; I can't wait.

KissMyFrog said...

Great quilt - perfect for couch-snuggling. What do you think are the odds that you will ever get to use it? I know my boys would view it as their rightful prey, and yours are smaller, cuter, and more numerous. ;)

What is this Rawson place? I followed the link and it doesn't look big enough to hold a quilting weekend. I have visions of 90 women with sewing machines in a room the size of a football field, all piecing enormous quilts. Have you been mucking about with space and time again?

t does wool said...

oh,my..that turned out perfectly!

Emma said...

Looks like you had a very relaxing but productive weekend! Your quilt looks fantastic Leonie.