Sunday, April 10, 2011

Burning the candle at both ends

Apparently I have been doing too much, or not enough depending upon how you look at it.  I have been getting to bed really late.  Lots of stuff to do, Kinder stuff, knitting stuff and sewing stuff as well as the usual house stuff and kid stuff as well.  This has been going on for a couple of weeks now, the burning the candle at both ends and this week it has had unfortunate results.
After last weekend where I had two nights without children invading my bed, I have had one, if not two, invading my bed every night this week at least once if not two or three times.  That would be the kick back I get for having some time to myself apparently.  This has meant that good old sleep deprivation has kicked right back in.  Combine that with two and a half days of terrible side effects from dumb natural hormones and my body gave out.  I gave in and went to the doctors this morning and paid the big bucks to see someone since I can't lay on one side for the pain in my ear.  I don't have a middle ear infection, I appear to have an infection along one side of the ear canal, an abscess if you will.  It hurts.  Nope that's not right, it aches almost constantly but if you touch it that's a whole different story, it is a direct line to instant, breathtaking, excruciating pain.  I now have antibiotics of the "Very strong" type, they are horse pills.  They'd better work because keeping children from hugging you is nearly impossible and I don't seriously expect them to remember that Mummy has a sore ear or to understand just what sore means in this case.  Jules has been home the last two days because it's the weekend and that has meant I have been able to just sit and knit and listen to podcasts and pretend I'm like anyone else who has a sick day, i.e. stop.  Tomorrow he is back at work and I go back to the nurse to get some blood tests done just to check everything is ok and there's not something else causing issues.
I don't often get sick but when I do it's usually a doozy and it's no different this time.


The good news for the week is that the front fence has now been repaired and is as good as new.  Zac has survived his first term at school and has made some amazing progress with both reading and writing.  He is exhausted and keeps having little melt downs but will be fine after a few days of rest and lots of food and cuddles.  Hunter has received an award for greatly improved concentration on his work which is truly awesome.  And Tyler is growing up on a daily basis and demonstrating  his strength of character to his brothers, much to their chagrin!

Bring on the holidays, we all need a rest and we all deserve it.

8 comments:

2paw said...

Oh you poor thing, I kind of know how you feel. I hope the pain goes away quickly. Aren't those strong antibiotic tablets HUGE???
Hurray for the new fence!!
Well done to all the boys, it is nice to know they are happy and learning lots.

Melissa said...

Oh ouch!! I hope those horse pills kick in soon and you are starting to feel better.

Lynne said...

Oh no! I do hope you'll be feeling better very soon.

I'm not sure whether being school holidays makes it better or worse; at least there's no hurry to get out of the house on time every morning.

Michelle said...

I really hope you feel better soon! Feeling sick, especially with pain in your ear, is crippling.

Michelle said...

I really hope you feel better soon! Feeling sick, especially with pain in your ear, is crippling.

kissmyfrog said...

Feel better soon, sweetie. An ice-pack clapped to the side of your face might help two ways, (1)reducing pain and swelling, and (2) reminding small people that you've got a sore ear.

Lynne S of Oz said...

You don't do things by halves, do you? I hope the ear thing goes away quickly and with no repercussions. (In the US I once had such a painful ear I couldn't touch it or wear my glasses = being blind and I was allergic to the antibiotics they gave me...)

Kate said...

I hope those drugs do their thing REALLY fast!