Friday, January 21, 2011

2011 FO#2 - Travelling Sir Walter

One of my plans for myself for this year was to make myself a shawl from the yarn I received as part of a Christmas gift.  Having never made a shawl before I decided trying out a small one on some lovely baby alpaca I had in the stash would be a good start. I had been looking at patterns for the finer yarn and came across the Travelling Woman shawl bLiz Abinante which turned out to be a perfect pattern for my lovely green.  She still needs a block but so far I am very pleased with the results.  Will provide pre and post blocking measurements on my Rav page, but at a guess the wingspan is close to 165cm since I can hold each end in the ends of my fingertips...just!  Will see what it's like after blocking.   Would prefer more depth rather than wingspan so will block accordingly.  Here she is shortly after completion adjacent to my cooking space at our camping spot last week.




Details, details...


Pattern: Travelling Woman Shawl by Liz Abinante
Yarn: Moggy and Me Baby Alpaca, in Sir Walter colourway.
Needles:  4mm KnitPro interchangeables with Nickel tips
Started: January 1st, 2011
Finished: January 12th, 2011
Mods:  Did the stocking stitch section as per pattern and then did some calculations to check how many repeats of Section A and B lace I could do.  Ended up with 4 repeats of Section A lace and then 1 of Section B.  Have used 92 grams out of the 100grams. Very Happy.
Comments:  Despite mucking up the last few stitches of the lace pattern a couple of times and having to rip it back a couple of rows about 3 times, I love the yarn and love the pattern (errors in knitting were mine, not the pattern).  I was especially happy when reading the pattern to see it was inspired by one of my favourite characters (Angela) in one of my favourite shows (Bones).  Maybe
I'll have to look at the other two shawls inspired by the characters in the show...

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks fantastic! The collie is beautiful too. I have some of that sir Walter in sock yarn and I really should do something lovely with it!

2paw said...

Cool, I love Bones too. Your shawl is gorgeous!!

dillpickle said...

It's gorgeous! The colour is fantastic (though green is possibly my favourite colour, but it IS an especially nice green ;-)), and I can't wait to see it blocked.

I think Bones is highly entertaining, too!

knightlyknitter said...

Isn't it a fun pattern? I can't wait to see a modelled shot - you look fabulous in green!

Katie said...

your travelling woman is gorgeous!

I just finished the Saroyan (with the leaf edging) that's part of the Bones series it was lovely to knit too! although if you're a fan of depth over width it might not be for you as it's lovely and long and shallow :D