Thursday, December 9, 2010

2010 FO# 49 - Annie's purple lime cowl


There's a tale attached to this item and it starts with the announcement by the Assistant in Zac's kinder group that she is moving to another job for next year.  Annie is brilliant with the kids, gorgeous personality, friendly, so interested in them and their needs, just wonderful.  We are all sad that Annie is leaving our kinder, especially as, in our case, Tyler will miss out on her presence when he does 4 year old kinder in two years time.  As a thank you for her amazing efforts with my kids I decided to make her a gift.  I employed Zac to discover her favourite colour which is purple and after assessing the time left before the end of term and the other events we needed to participate in I decided a scarf would be lovely.  She spends a lot of time outside even in Winter because the kids need to go out and they need supervision.  I went stash diving and came up with some Pear Tree yarn in the most gorgeous purple in a 4ply/fingering weight.  I scoured Rav for something that would suit my criteria: 4 ply, a bit of lace, larger needles so it would knit up faster.  I found this beautiful scarf and printed out the pattern only to discover that the pattern went across the scarf not down the length.  I much preferred the lengthwise orientation so converted the pattern.  Recalculated the stitches required, cast on, ripped out, cast on less stitches and then was happy with the width and off I went.  Despite knitting it on 4mm needles it was taking forever and ever mindful of the time I floated the idea of sewing the ends together to make a cowl at SnB on Tuesday morning.  The consensus (after modelling in front of the mirror) was that a cowl would indeed work and in fact would be quite pretty.  Also as it turns out it would be more functional for someone dealing with small children everyday, no dangling ends to droop in the sandpit or playdough!  So I have employed a three needle bind off to join the live stitches to the cast on end and now it is all done with a week to spare :-)

Closer up!
Modelled: Photo credit for this shot goes to Master Hunter, great work buddy!  Lets just say photos taken by me in front of the mirror were less than adequate.


Vital statistics
Yarn: Pear Tree 4 ply Merino, in Jacarandah (purple)
Needles: 4mm, 60cm Knit Pro interchangeables
Pattern: Lime Scarf by Susan Pandorf
Start date: November 26th, 2010
End date: December 7th, 2010
Mods: Rotated the pattern to travel down the length of the scarf instead of across.  40 st cast on.  *4st plain, 8st pattern* thrice then 4st plain.  Worked for 56cm then three needle bind off to join the ends together to make a cowl.  Used a whole 32g of yarn!

7 comments:

2paw said...

Annie is very lucky, it looks so soft and warm and yes, much more child friendly than a scarf, though a scarf is also good!!

Sue said...

She will love that present. I remember my daughter's 4 yr kinder teachers were both so wonderful, and are still doing a marvellous job so I hear that I knitted them both scarves. I even bumped into one and she said she still loved wearing it!

Melissa said...

What a lovely pressie! I think the cowl was definately the way to go.

le@thirdontheright said...

yummy - looks delicious - best le

humel said...

It's *lovely* :-) Gorgeous colour, and beautiful pattern xx

Ange said...

Love that colour, and what a nice thing to do!!! We don't hear about teachers moving on until they're pretty much out the door, and there are a few I would've liked to do something special for. Like what you've done here ...

Lynne said...

Gorgeous colour, pretty pattern. I have queued it - thanks for sharing.