Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A health update

After being completely paranoid Sunday evening and all day yesterday it appears as though Tyler's "preventer" is indeed working and is keeping the asthma at bay.  It's been a rough few weeks for him and us and his brothers so we are trying to get everything back to normal and relax a little while also staying alert.  He lost heaps of weight and tires easier than usual but has started eating more again so we are anticipating a speedy recovery on that front.  As the Mama of three young boys all of whom have been diagnosed within the last 12 months with virus induced asthma and all of whom are now on "preventers" I am constantly listening to coughs and assessing their potential cause and carry around ventolin in my handbag for just-in-case.  We've been lucky up until now, no food allergies, no major childhood accidents/illnesses (apart from chicken pox for the older two, and a broken elbow for Zac) and we are still lucky in a lot of ways.  Our boys are happy and generally healthy and they don't get asthma from exercise or from exposure to specific foods or dust mites or any of the other "normal" triggers that would probably stay with them for life.  But over the last few weeks I have not felt lucky.  I have railed against the impact that this has on my children's lives.  I have grieved for their recent struggles and for those that are potentially on the horizon.  I have been heartbroken for them.  My head can now cope with what has occurred and how it will impact on their lives but my heart still grieves for all of them. We live in hope that they will outgrow this illness.  Until then I will live on edge.

9 comments:

willywagtail said...

It's wonderful that the meds are finally working and his appetite is coming back. I have two out of three with virus induced asthma but in our case it has not gone on to be a major problem. So much so that when the need a their pump I have to go out and buy a new one. Therein lies our danger. I hope you can eventually relax too with this whilst always being just that little bit alert. Eventuall the child becomes aware of the times that the pump is working for them and when they need it. Cherrie

Ange said...

Goodness, I didn't realise there was such a thing as virus-induced asthma. I've been nutting off to myself about Sweeney's still-rattly cough two months after bronchitis. You're doing great not to be mental with it all ...

2paw said...

There are a lot more virus induced illnesses these days and with any luck the boys will grow out of it. Fingers crossed. Glad all seems OK right now.

Elflyn said...

Thinking of you and your boy. I'm glad you can see light at the end of the tunnel now.
Jen x

Sue said...

I am glad that the medicine is finally working for your son. You must feel so exhausted worrying about them all. I do hope they grow out of their asthma. My son only got asthma when he got a cold or throat infection but then grew out of it once he hit about 10 years of age.

Lyn said...

I do feel for you, and understand the angst of adapting your children and your life to unwanted conditions.

Your positive outlook and naturally sunny disposition will be major assets to you always.

le@thirdontheright said...

so glad things are looking up with your wee one - it is sucha worry - we have been thru this and with some concerted effort have only had a couple of repeats ... touch wood !! best le

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are getting better for you all. Your doing an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Anon= Newdknit :D