Friday, September 24, 2010

Hit a snag....

Hmmmmm

Working on Jules' socks and it is amazingly apparent that there is not enough yarn to finish the second sock. I was suspicious and never did the grafting on the first sock. I'm annoyed but I'll get over it.


Yes I did weigh the yarn when I finished the first sock and it said there was enough. It lied.

It will come as no surprise to most of you that I am going to knit as far as I can before pulling it back out so I can work out just how many rows I have to pull back in the leg of the sock so that it will all match nicely. I will end up with two completed leg pieces and two frogged feet and heels but getting it right will be worth it.

Sorry Jules it will be another couple of weeks until your socks are ready :-(

For future socks for my skinny footed husband I will indeed learn how to do toe up socks and will do both at the same time probably on separate needles and then we won't have this problem again.

Note to self: The pattern I'm using just a plain sock but in 2x2 rib. Rib eats yarn.

5 comments:

kissmyfrog said...

Can I suggest an alternative to pulling back the leg? Knit as far as you can with the yarn you have, and then steal from the TOE of the other sock, to get them the same length on both feet. Then find a co-ordinating solid yarn and knit the toes.

That's how I'd do it.

dillpickle said...

Bugger!! Though kissmyfrog's idea sounds potentially very clever! I would never have thought of it myself ;-)

2paw said...

OK, that is a snag. I have had this happen and I undid the ribbing on both socks and a few more rows as well and then finished knitting the toe, and then knitted back upwards on the leg to finish the ribbed cuff.
Or, they could have contrasting toes???

Lyn said...

Can I suggest asking on one of the rav groups if anyone has any of the yarn, so you can finish it off? What is the yarn you are using? Is it Tofutsies?

Leonie said...

Lyn the yarn is Ms Gusset sock yarn, I might stalk a few peeps on Rav if it gets that bad.