Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blogtoberfest 2010 - 26th - Parenting tip #2

Effective parenting tool #2 - Too loud


When a child is yelling or crying so loud you can't understand what they are saying, or you just think they are too loud.

Quietly and calmly say "I can't hear you, you're too loud".

They look at you as if you are completely crackers but will more often than not actually quieten down. You might have to repeat it a couple of times but they get there.

It's good to get this one in before they turn two so they get used to it as a method before they are old enough to try and think it through.

I have used it to good effect on a screaming 8 year old who was so shocked that I'd said it that they did in fact stop screaming to tell me "That's just silly", but hey they stopped didn't they!

Giveaway is drawn on the 30th, so you've got 4 more days to enter :-)

6 comments:

2paw said...

I always believe in cal quietness in the face of loud noises. At school in my room I never shouted. No-one paid any attention to shouting and the class would just get louder. Talk quietly, and carry a good book with cliff hanger endings that you start reading very quietly at pack up time!!

kissmyfrog said...

What a genius idea! It may not work on my uber-literal 10yo, but it's worth a try. I swear, somebody turned his volume up to 11 and then snapped off the knob.

Lyn said...

Yep, it's a grand old teaching technique - you get quieter as they get louder. Usually works. Usually.

Hmm, and I'll put my hand up for your giveaway - the Mary Kay hand treatment seems fit for my dry old mitts. Well done!

dillpickle said...

I like that idea! A lot!!

Liesl said...

A friend once mentioned the "I can't hear you, you're too loud" line and I though it was genius. Its turned out to be an excellent, effective technique (in what can be a VERY noisy household!).

Lynne said...

It may not seem logical but what a great idea. Thanks for sharing!