Thursday, July 8, 2010

Happy Endings

I know that a lot of knitters out there have a thing about sewing seams and weaving in ends of yarn when completing a project. So much so that some knit completely in the round to avoid side seams. Others spit splice so there are no ends. I can't spit splice, I just find it hard to believe that the splice is as strong as leaving the ends of the old and new ball at the beginning of a line of knitting and sewing the ends in when the garment is completed. I know there are people who won't agree with that and that's fine, fantastic even, as knitters we all have our little quirks. Things we do, things we don't do. That's one of the things that makes knitting so wonderful. Each person can cater to their own style. There are multiple ways of casting on, casting off, increasing, decreasing and sewing up. Pretty much everyone has stuff they like to do that others would never do.

Some times I will leave the finishing for days, weeks even. Because honestly even two ends of yarn needing to be sewn in are getting in the way of a much more exciting project. Eventually I get back to them and wonder why I left them so long. I have a couple of projects hanging around like that at the moment: a tiny pair of socks and a hat.

But today was not a day for putting off finishing, nope, I have been sewing up and weaving in ends. I love side seams, I love the way they give structure to a garment. I like fitted shaped garments on me so the seams help to achieve this. Every end I wove in today helped the smile on my face grow and grow. This project was begun on the 30th of March when I was still claiming back brain space (that mysteriously disappeared whilst bearing and feeding my youngsters) and desperately needed to use Excel spreadsheets to keep track of what line I was up to in my knitting. This project required 3 charts, 2 with a matching 16 row repeat and one with a 22 row repeat, I also needed to keep track of waist shaping increases and decreases and there was no way I was doing that and keeping it all straight without help, LOL. Having never completed a chart only pattern let alone used a chart before, having always relied upon written instructions, this was a project that certainly made me stretch myself in numerous ways. 14 balls of yarn later, and if I manage to find a shop stocking leather shoe lace stuff for the front ties, today it will be finished. It still needs a little bit of a steam along the seams to help them stay open but nevertheless I am absolutely pleased to introduce you to the almost completed Twigs and Leaves Cardigan that I have been working on for the last 3 months.

The colour is hard to capture but this one is close:


A proper Finished object post will be up soon, this one is a teaser for those who have been keeping track of it's progress. I will definitely have a photo with me wearing it as soon as there is someone around to wield a camera and some decent light. Our house has terrible light for photos at night so you may have to wait until the weekend for a posed shot :-) Oh and I love the way it fits, the sleeve length, pretty much everything about it. Love it.

6 comments:

2paw said...

No wonder you love it so, it's absolutely gorgeous!!

Teresa said...

Congratulations! It looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see you in it!

drkknits said...

gosh thats lovely, what a great colour. i love the ease of all in one knitting, but you are dea right about seams giving structure and shape. nice work!!

Rose Red said...

Wow - it looks fantastic! Look forward to seeing a modelled shot too. Such a great colour too.

Sue said...

I have to agree with the others, it is absolutely gorgeous! I cant wait to see how it looks on you too. You must be so happy. Now I will have to go and look up the pattern as you have me inspired.

Kate said...

Yay!! It looks lovely - I am so looking forward to the modelled shots :)