Friday, June 25, 2010

Taking action at last

This year I am not working, I had planned to but it didn't work out. The kids are still going to childcare one day a week and I have been using the "free" day to do stuff around the house.

The early part of the year was spent working on stuff for the Kinder as I am payroll person and there were major changes to the award that needed to be dealt with.

As that started to slow down I started using my "free" days to do some seriously needed gardening out the front. I have had company in my gardening which has kept me motivated. The last few weeks have seen a slow down in the gardening due to various appointments both on my side and my friend's, that and the freezing weather and dripping sky :-) So the garden is a work in progress which is fine. I'm still working on exactly how I want it to be.

The house on the other hand has been a disaster area for something approaching years.....and it has to come under control. How bad has it gotten? Well I can't find two Birth Certificates, the blue ones you use for filling in applications and such. I have the decorative ones I ordered at the same time but not the boring blue ones. So I have been searching...and searching....and searching. The other three Birth Certificates are exactly where they should be which leads me to believe the missing ones have been out for forms and have just not made it back to their usual home. We have a small home: 3 bedrooms, 1 living space, bathroom, toilet, laundry, kitchen. There aren't many places to look or at least I didn't think so until I had to search high and low for these two pieces of paper. What have I found?? About 4 years of filing that has been residing in boxes instead of the filing cabinet. Immunization history statements that also hadn't been returned to their usual spot. So many pieces of children's art. Mother's and Father's day gifts from kinder, childcare and school and all sorts of other papers. I have recycled an awful lot of paper in the last two weeks. I still haven't found the certificates.... Have I given up? Nope. There are still places to look. I have to admit that the search has had some pretty good upside effects: The filing has been done. Need a bank statement from 4 years ago? Give me 30 secs and I've got it. Need anyone else's Birth Certificate? Done. The stash hiding in the wardrobe has been sorted and organised and the knitting books and patterns (more papers that could have been hiding the ones I was looking for) have all been put together in one spot. I haven't finished yet. I still have the other side of the wardrobe and then the other side of our room. This may take a few more weeks yet! The house should look pretty good by the time I'm done.

I'm glad though. I've been putting off the organising, the sorting, the doing but I needed to fill out a school enrolment application for Zac and that required a Birth Certificate. When it wasn't where it should have been it was the beginning of the sorting and organising. Now that I've started I have a reason to keep going at least until I find them. It all needed to happen but it was hard to get started and now the reason to get started has been provided.

It's school holidays here now, we have all three boys home for the next two weeks and it's going to be interesting. Zac has some sort of virus with a sore throat and is completely out of sorts. The doctor says to keep his fluids up and ride it out. Yippeee!! NOT. What a great way to start the break.

I'll be spending the next two weeks searching some more for these silly Birth Certificates because it is completely going to do my head in if I can't find them. I'll be refereeing various disputes between the three boys, feeding them and sending them outside to play in the mud as much as possible.

Best of all, I am now sure that I will finish my Twigs and Leaves cardigan in time for Bendigo. I decided to throw all caution to the wind and cross my fingers that the pieces will not stretch or drop in any unwanted fashion and have pushed on and finished both front pieces. I only have one sleeve and the neck/button band to do.....

In between times I needed some mindless knitting and threw together a bright orange/yellow hat on Thursday while watching an episode of House and then finished later in the evening. Details to follow.

I have lots of new projects flying through my mind that I want to start but still have at least 5 unfinished projects from last year that need to be finished up so maybe one of them will have to be next.....

5 comments:

Tiggy Johnson said...

Oh dear. I lost Dylan's birth certificate for months (like twelve or so), and when I did find it, it was about thirty centimetres from the spot I was certain I'd left it in. My theory was 'Who would give an important document to a mother of three?' Anyway, it was found, and I'm sure yurs will be too.

Lynne said...

Good luck finding the birth certificates; it has had its good side, hasn't it?

Hope you get the cardigan finished in time.

Sonia said...

I'm fairly certain you can get replacement certificates from the Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages in town. Best of luck, I hate losing stuff…

geoff_tewierik said...

Blue birth certificates are in the brown wooden box on the top shelf of the wardrobe. That's where they've always been ;)

Kate said...

When you're finished, I have a house you could come and organise... :)