Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Big Picture

Sometimes it's hard to step back and look at your successes from the outside.

I feel like I'm constantly fighting to keep on top of everything, it doesn't help that there's a whole pile of stuff that I just don't like doing that just needs to get done.

But I've had a few self found revelations in the last few months. My body is well and truly geared to supporting babies and small children at the expense of anything vaguely related to storing a memory. So as the hormone induced fog gradually lifts I am looking at my/our life with new eyes and trying to get to know the new me.

I am not the person I was before having children. Sure a lot of the basics are still there but the details have changed. The things I value are now coloured by how they affect not just myself but my little family. We have had some pretty big discussions here in the past few weeks trying to sort out where we are and where we want to go/be. And it's been good, really good, to know that we are generally on the same page still.

Anyway the whole reason for this post is to remind me to step back and see what the big picture is:

When I feel like the house is a constant mess: It's clean dry washing that just needs to be put away, not dirt, and it means the clothes washing is getting done.

When I feel like I've had no time to myself: I've swum at least once in a week if not 3 times and I've taken the kids with me to SnB on a Tuesday morning, and attended SnB at the Botanical gardens once a month by myself.

When I feel like I've made no progress on my knitting: I have a gazillion projects of which I have worked on five different ones in the past week including finishing off 2 things, both new projects, and I am making slow but steady progress on my Twigs and Leaves cardigan which I will photograph at some point.

When I feel like I am at constant odds with one of the children (they take turns): It's generally only one kid at a time and there's generally a reason of some sort, no matter how long it takes, we generally work it out and deal with it. And they're kids, pushing the boundaries and driving their parents insane is in the job description.

As a general rule the kids are happy and healthy they have good times together and aren't at constant odds with each other or us as parents. They love us and we love them.

All is good.

4 comments:

Rose Red said...

It's always good to look at what you have rather than what you haven't, I reckon. Good to challenge your perspectives too and most especially to realise things aren't as bad as you might initially think! Hurrah for the big picture!

2paw said...

I believe in The Glad Game that Pollyanna played. It may seem naff, but it helps me appreciate what I have. I am glad about the small everyday things and grateful they;re not worse 9which I am pretty sure is not in the spirit of the game!!)
Glad you are seeing things in a positive light!!

Lynne said...

We all need to step back and take a good objective look sometimes - glad you are pleased with what you see!

Michelle said...

I have to do it everyday. Take stock, see the big picture. It makes me feel kind of grown up!!