Tuesday, February 9, 2010

FO #2, 2010 Woolybutt challenge

I finished sewing in the ends for the Woolybutt challenge item at SnB this morning, came home for lunch, did kinder drop off, went to the shops to buy a bottle of spray starch, home again turning the iron on in 33 degC heat (yes I am completely mad) because despite Lynne's excellent instructions in the comments from yesterday and despite it being 33 degC I just soooo didn't have time to block this let alone properly. I will when I get it back because I think I know what I'm going to do with it next.

So here it is all laid out ready to be sprayed:
For those of you who are pedantic, I do know the edges aren't perfectly straight and are in fact quite wobbly, I also knew I was going to be folding it up and someone else was going to be displaying it so, in this case (and I am cringing), near enough was in fact good enough!! As it turns out after I had finished up and packed it into a little bag ready for delivery, the ever helpful Tyler took it back out grabbed it in his lovely llittle hand halfway along it's length and swung it around his head so it ended up with a bit of a kink along one side...shhhhhhh! Being very time poor and needing to drop it off before kinder and school pick up which today were at exactly the same time, it got folded back up and stuffed back into the bag, and promptly delivered to Lorraine.

Here's a close up of the stitch patten which is just k2, *yo, k2tog,* k1, with the *'s having their usual meaning. Oh and the photo is taken at an angle so those dark lines run straight up and down the length of the fabric, tip your head to the right to see how it looks in real life.


I used 2 balls of Heirloom 8 ply cotton on 8mm bamboo straights with a 41 stitch cast on.

Now the criteria for the competition include:

"the item must not be a garment but rather something that would be useful either around the home or in personal life, for example: placemats, coasters, ipod covers, dish cloths, face cloths, hot water bottle covers, golf club covers, handbags etc."

so for those of you out there thinking "great scarf" it is in fact not. Not saying that it won't ever be worn as one but the whole intent of the knit is different. I got the idea from the first two items on the list.

My entry is in fact one of these:

And I am quite pleased with how it has turned out. Of course I forgot to measure it but as you can see it's the full length of my table when it is in short mode (150 cm) and will be short of the ends when I open the table out and raise the centre leaf. As for width that would be the white towel folded in half (45 cm). So nice to have these visual aides!!

4 comments:

2paw said...

Oh it's lovely!!I like the long lines of the pattern. It was 35* this afternoon where I was!!!!

toffle said...

I do like this table runner. I especially like it on the diagonal!
BTW: Lolly bribery is working!

Lynne said...

Not quite the blocking I described! LOL

A lovely table runner and, yes, I did think it was a scarf! What a great double-duty item!!

t does wool said...

lovely knit...beautiful runner~