Thursday, January 7, 2010

Stuff

Clear the Decks December:
Not so successful. Meh. Found the dining room table regularly so it didn't get buried quite so often so that's a start. Cleared the mantlepiece only to bury it under Christmas stuff. Found my part of our bedroom too so maybe it was more successful than I thought. Didn't get to the study, in fact some of the stuff from other places landed there and made it worse...maybe that one is a long term goal!

2009's resolutions:
Had a look at what I resolved last year
"kinder to myself" well sometimes I suppose.
"anticipate deadlines" didn't have many went over some, not others.
"more organised" had more things added to the pile, got some organised, messed up others.
Sounds like I've done a half hearted job on most of it, oh well better luck next time!

2010 resolution:
That's right there's only one: drink more water.
Won't be hard to improve on the norm. I barely drink a 600ml bottle on a regular day so I've already improved by drinking an extra glass most days. Trying to see if it makes any difference to the way my body/mind works.
Also trying to have something that is easy to succeed at. This year is going to be quite a serious mental challenge and remembering to try to do excess stuff is probably pushing it!

Sewing
Have a lot of stash. I have appropriate quilt fabric for at least 6 quilt tops before even hitting "the fabric stash" so you know, apart from what I need to finish up an item i.e. buttons, zips, battings, etc. I will attempt to work from stash. I will also try to actually do more sewing to which end I have made a challenge with a friend. We are both having a bit of a lull in our sewing and we both have extensive lists of WIP's and things we have the bits and pieces for but the lack of get up and go to do something about. So she can start a new project when she has finished 3 WIP's and I can sew something for me when I have finished 40 hours worth of time working on the various projects that are sitting sidelined. We're working on the details but it means at the very least we have made a list of stuff that needs to be dealt with so that's the first step in getting it done.

Knitting
As for knitting, I'm not sure where I'm at. I think finishing all current WIP's as listed in the sidebar before the end of the year is probably a good idea. Not saying I'm not going to start anything new (see the socks later in this post) just that everything that is currently a WIP must be finished by 2011. Clean sweep, fresh for next year. In the interest of full disclosure I have had to add three items at the bottom of the list only because they are long term WIP's and just need to be finished. I even frogged something last week because it was meant for Tyler at about 3 months of age and he's now 27 months (long term WIP). WIP's that are not complete actually help my brain to implode since prior to 2006 I was a seriously monogamous knitter. Didn't even think about the next project let alone plan it, have yarn for it or start it. In an effort to reduce long term brain implosion I also want to reduce the WIP list to a max of three items at any one point. So the current list of 12 items makes me cringe. I obviously have a very busy year ahead of me.

Life
This year is going to be a little different from previous years. I don't have a regular job lined up at all, so this year is the year of "be"ing at home. If a job jumps at me that's fine but for the moment it's home time.
I am going to try to get to a few markets this year. I attended one last year and liked the experience a whole heap and really want to do it again and again.
My garden is a disgrace and needs serious attention, even if it is just of the rip out the weeds variety. I do want to plant more stuff that I like rather than living with the stuff the previous owners liked (we've been here 6.5 years), and I'd like to get a water tank, a huuuuuge one! Jules also wants to build the kids a play space in the back corner, which will need planning and organising and stuff.
The house needs sorting out as well. We regained the study earlier this year when Tyler joined his brothers in their room but have been unable to use it for that or any other purpose since then due to the "piles" that ended up in there at the same time.
Hopefully getting some of this stuff under control will help me to decide where I want to go next and what I want to do next. I am at a serious crossroads careerwise and have no idea what I want to do next so maybe by the end of the year I will have a better idea.

So all up it sounds like I have a busy year ahead of me.

Hunter will be in grade one.
Zac will be at kinder 3 half days a week and once you add swimming lessons, childcare one day, visits to grandparents houses during the week he will be quite busy.
Tyler will be mostly at home apart from childcare one day a week, and swimming while Zac has his lesson, he still needs a nap most days so this will work well for him.
I will have looking after the children, playing taxi driver to one and all, swimming, knitting, sewing, house organising, gardening and a couple of markets to keep me busy. Not to mention the excitement of the new neice or nephew who should be here by the end of the month.
Madness really!!!

Knitting for 2010
Hopefully you've made it this far for a piece of eye candy because we have just gotten to the teaser from the other day:

The socks are "chouwa" or "harmony" from "Knitted Socks East and West". I bought the book with a voucher I got for Christmas at a 20% off sale. Good Book. Will make more than one pair from this book.
The yarn is the Cherry Tree Hill Supersock yarn I received after completing the Through the Loops KAL. Colourway is Spring Frost.
Using the new 2.25mm Knitpicks needles my Brother got me for Christmas (thanks G)
Best bit is that I'm knitting them for me! Have done the rolled edge and twisted rib cuff and now three repeats of the leg.

I have visions of knitting on the beach next week as we embark upon our second beach camping trip. This one we'll be gone a week and we'll be camping in our big tent. Spent yesterday finding and packing stuff up in the garage and study. Collected the trailer this morning and the gas cylinder and new hose for the camp stove. Have the kids finding their clothes now. They want to pack and who am I to say no??? There's a mess of course but it's only clothes, we'll just shove the leftovers back where they belong once we are done. Ridiculously organized, thank heavens for the list from last year it means I don' t have to think this year :-) Heading off tomorrow night to Mum's then onto the beach on Saturday. Probably not going to be a great trip, hot, 36deg tomorrow and 34deg on Saturday but hey that's what the air con is for in the car and then after that we are at the beach for a week. Well worth it in my book.

So holiday tomorrow and I'll catch you when we get back!

6 comments:

2paw said...

Have a great holiday and I hope it is not too hot to knit your lovely sock, though the heat will make drinking the extra water easier!!!

Lynne said...

Enjoy your time away!

Andrea said...

Your resolutions are brilliant! I too am a slacker when it comes to drinking water, so I'll have to join you in your new commitment.

Your idea to do nothing but WIPs for the whole year is really REALLY brilliant. Scary scary levels of awesome. I'm tempted, I really am...

Kate_knits_a_bit said...

I hope you have a great week, and don't forget the palm-frond fans for the kids to wave at you - remember, it's not slave labour if you bribe your children with ice-cream :>

TinkingBell said...

You've been busy! Welcome to 2010 and I am also trying to sew more and be crafty - If I drink more water I'll float my kidneys......

Anna said...

Happy New Year! Be kinder to yourself is one I should really make for myself, as is drink more water. I wish you all the best for 2010.