Thursday, November 5, 2009

She has an American Friend...She Scores!

Ah yes, the joys of having an American friend whose husband works in the army. Free postage to American addresses counts because for the army they have a static address in the US that doesn't change and it just gets shipped courtesy of the army to wherever they are stationed, i.e. here in little old Australia (at least that's my understanding of it).

So what might I have gotten my hands on you ask? Technically there are two things and they are closely related.

I'll give you a clue.

Cakes can be made using one by itself or both of them together.

They both spin but they are not part or parts of spinning wheels.

They are both used to handle wool in some way.

One spins evenly and the other spins like a crazy person.

Give up???

I have a brand new swift and ball winder. All for less than $100, yay for the strength of the Aussie dollar! Special thanks go to the lovely Amy and her enabling!!

Here's my first cake, yarn cake that is! Had to redo it twice because I had help the first time winding it (thanks kids...all three of them) and the second I forgot to tension it properly so it was very squishy, third time lucky!! Have to try a couple more before I attempt the 1700m or so that is my very fine Habu, soooo don't want to mess that up!!

PS. If you need to borrow it, that's cool, just let me know!!!

4 comments:

2paw said...

Oh that's a fabulous ball of wool you have wound there!!!

Lynne said...

I can't imagine living without my yarn winder or my swift! I love knitting from centre-pull balls. I detest balls or skeins of yarn that roll across the lounge and under my elbow when I'm knitting; not to mention onto the floor! But the yarn cakes - they just squat and don't give me any trouble!!

Congratulations on your fine purchases.

Rose Red said...

Oh you won't know yourself now with a swift and ball winder - they are the best!!

Lynne S of Oz said...

Gosh, I could do with those at the moment - mine are in the US and I keep finding things to wind by hand.
It makes winding a ball so easy and dare I say fun! (But don't go too quickly and make sure the cake is squashed down every now and then otherwise disaster strikes!)