Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blogtoberfest 13 - Tricot comparison

As promised, both a second post today and a comparison between traditional and not so traditional Tunisian knitting (Tricot).

So, as mentioned before, I went to Craft Fest 2009 in Melbourne on Sunday and came across a class which I did not attend due to it being full, which was held by Prudence Mapstone. I was fascinated by the thought of how you could create a light and airy fabric without any curl, to me Tricot was as shown below.

The front

The back
It is an obviously dense fabric, really warm as a scarf!

I did inspect the fabric made by Prudence's method at the show and when I got home had a play with my tricot hook, looking to replicate her fabric. The only difference between the traditional method and the lighter fabric is where you put the hook through to create the stitches on your hook. The return row is still the same, you just need to be careful not to pull the loops too tight and all works well. So what does the new fabric look like?

The front
The back
What a difference hey?? So much lighter and as promised none of the curl of the traditional method. In retrospect I have actually made a couple of lines worth of this variation before, but was looking for the dense fabric so promptlypulled it out!! Like any tricot it is more labour intensive than knitting with sticks, much more concentration and visual focus required, more like crochet at least for me. It is also less yarn hungry because it so much more open, lovely for a light scarf for a Summer evening!

So how do you do it? I'm not so good at explaining from scratch but if you crochet or tricot yourself it will probably make some sense:
Make a chain of the number of stitches that gives you the width of fabric you want. Make a stitch by putting your hook through the little bump on the back of the V made by the chain second from the end, hook the yarn and pull it through to make a stitch on your tricot hook. Do this in the back of each of the stitches until you get to the end. Make a chain stitch, then hook the yarn pull it through the first two stitches, hook the yarn again and pull it through the next two and repeat until you get to the end. Repeat from the beginning.

Have fun!

4 comments:

Lynne said...

I don't do Tunisian crochet/knitting but it is on my list. Thanks for sharing the two different styles - I am intrigued!

lily40au said...

So amazing ... there's a whole world out there I've never heard of.

2paw said...

Oh I vaguely remember Tunisian crocheting when I was young. Thanks for the demonstration!!

Anni said...

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give it a try.