Monday, October 12, 2009

Blogtoberfest 10 - Close encounter

A close encounter of the animal kind happened at our house today. If I hadn't have been here I would have had the incredulous look I just observed on Jules' face when Zac told him the events, just before.

To set the scene: The back door was open and the gardener had been visitng next door, mowing the lawn, doing the edges, using the blower thing
y. Zac and I had been in and out checking out the proceedings, Zac generally up in a tree for a good vantage point.

The event: A friend called just after lunch and I was chatt
ing away with her when Zac flew in the back door, screaming in a mixture of fear and panic and possibly pain. I launched myself out of my chair and met him in the kitchen only to be greeted by the sight of his panic stricken face close by the gorgeous face of a tiny ringtail possum!

Needless to sa
y I gently but firmly (geez they can hold on!) removed the possum from his shoulder, it promptly bit me on the base on the thumb (didn't break the skin thank goodness), and took it outside to put in a tree in the neighbours yard (the gardener had left) away from our curious cat Maddy who had come to see what was going on. I don't believe it was full grown but it was a ringtail possum.

Zac's stor
y: Apparently the possum had climbed over the fence from our neighbours, crossed to our clothes line, run up the path toward the house and then across towards the dining room window. Zac approached the small creature which immediately and to his complete horror climbed up his leg and his back and settled on his shoulder at which point he headed screaming into the house.

So there
you go. I know they are pain for some people but they sure are cute!!


Can you see him???

6 comments:

dillpickle said...

Now that's a great story to be added to the family folklore!

Lynne said...

Thanks for sharing the story and the photo.

Hope Zac has gotten over his fright!

t does wool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
t does wool said...

love the story ;))

Virginia said...

Aussie possums are so much cuter than North American opossums (related, I think). Ugh, they're ugly up here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum

kissmyfrog said...

What a cutie! I love ringtails. What a pity you can't keep possums as pets - after such a dramatic beginning, the little fellow could have ended up being Zac's new best friend.