Thursday, August 20, 2009

Socks in abundance

Well it is sock central over here and I think this morning I may have hit the wall.

Last Tuesday I started Zac's socks and this Tuesday I finished them. Have had to peel them off his feet he wore them for 24 hours straight and soooo didn't want me to wash them.

This Tuesday I started Hunter's rainbow socks and Wednesday I finished one. Have not yet cast on for the other. Had to go buy another set of Knit Pro 2.5mm circs so I could start on Jules'.

Wednesday night I restarted Jules' socks, doing a 2x2 rib the whole way, I've done about 2 inches, just have to decide what sort of heel to do. I don't think the short row heel will cut it, so I'm going to have to have a look at other options. Have done heel flaps before but not reinforced ones and Kylie mentioned an "Eye of Partridge" heel so I'm going to have to look that one up as well, but until then I have a lot of 2x2 rib to get through, perfect evening knitting.

But in the meantime I'm starting to look sideways at the socks and in my head there's starting to be a bit of mutiny. Going round and round and round is starting to wear a little thin.

What else can I cast on? It's been a couple of weeks since the Shiloh wrap cardy, so maybe it's cardy time again. Ah yes, that's got the shoulder's down a little. But now what yarn? A plethora of choices available to me in the stash. It's so nice that one or two balls of 4 ply is generally enough for most of what I make. Hang on, didn't I get some new "stuff" at Bendi??? There it is. OOOOoooh the rainbows (obviously not over rainbow colours yet, just socks!), but which one...settled on the Ixchel BFL/Angora in Carribean. Needs a simple pattern, how about the one I used for the Cleck Bamboo multi (rav link) a while back. Fished out the pattern book, checked the sizings and metreage and sure enough there should be enough yarn in the ball of BFL/angora for a 3 month old size cardy. I just won't cut the yarn in between pieces just in case!


Woohoo new project!

5 comments:

kgirl said...

did you find the details for eye of partridge heel?

It's just alterating your slip stitched each row, i.e. instead of usual slip stitch heel (sl1, k1 every row) you sl1, k1 row 1, and k1, sl1 row 2)

doubt it's any stronger, I just think it's prettier ;)

kgirl said...

d'oh, that's meant to be "alternating", damn spelling

Amy said...

From the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules:

Eye of Partridge Heel

Row 1 (RS): *Slip 1, Knit 1; repeat from * to end of row

Row 2: Slip 1, purl to end of row

Row 3: Slip 1, *Slip 1, Knit 1; repeat from * to last stitch; knit 1

Row 4: Repeat Row 2.

Repeat Rows 1-4 until the flap is a square.

From what I gather there are several variations on the patterm

Kate said...

I love Eye of P! such a delightful honeycomb/waffle effect. Try it - I'm sure you'll love it!!

TinkingBell said...

Love eye of partridge - but also like the standard slip stitch heel - it you want to reinforce, get some thread in a matching/toning colour and knit it with the yarn through the heelflap and turn - should help - some people do toes as well