Friday, April 17, 2009

A Vest....

I am embarking upon a journey. I am starting a project for me that actually matters what size it turns out. Recent "me" projects have been scarves and the shawl that is still in progress. I think the last time I knit something for me with the intent of it "fitting" I was a lean mean teenage machine. Now of course I am a mean mother of three having lost the lean somewhere along the way. So it is with some trepidation that I am embarking upon the knitting of a vest. I recently purchased a knitted vest (shhhhhh!!) and found it was love at first use and now of course I want more. This gorgeous Autumn weather has inspired me, that and a sale at my local yarn store of course. So I picked up a skein of this:

Thinking I might make a hat out of it, but then I bought my vest and a seed was sown. Had a look through what passes as a pattern collection and found a Patons Ladies Collection. Inside there are 2 vest patterns, one with buttons one without. After assessing the one I currently own which is buttoned, and does have a bit of a gap issue after a long day, I quickly came to the conclusion that a buttonless vest was probably the more flattering option.
So one skein of yarn was not going to be enough. Dropped by today to see if there was any more at my source and picked up two more, even though I'm pretty sure I don't need the third, at $12 a skein it won't be a huge loss if I manage to screw it up! If I don't need it the maybe the kids will get matching hats this Winter!

Off to do a Tension square (yes that was for you Bells!)

Oh and if you haven't already, take a look at the quilt options from the last post and let me know your preference!

4 comments:

Bells said...

i have that pattern book! I think my mother first knitted for me from it when I was a teenager. Nice classic patterns.

You could be really daring and knit it in the round. It'll come together even faster!

Lynne said...

I also have that pattern book. I use it occasionally to work out quantities needed for a garment or for a basic shape to embellish with my own pattern. All in all, a lovely classic book.

TinkingBell said...

Nice! and such a great colour (and I suspect I have that pattern book too!)

What an adventure with the car!

and I vote3 for the car quilt for Tyler and then the ones for the boys!

My security word is `fliton' - and I must before children kill/maim/injure each other - sigh!

Alison Boon said...

There is something quite classy about a vest especially when worn over a shirt. Good luck with your project.