Friday, February 13, 2009

Bushfire sun


The sun looked eerie as it was setting this evening. The smoke from the bushfires has rolled into suburban Melbourne. Colours are all wrong. Everything has a tinge of yellow to it. The smell is everywhere, especially on the clothes that were hanging on the washing line over night.

I have been making toys for the Toy Society to distribute to the bushfire kids, my kids think they are great so I'm hoping they will bring at least a small amount of cheer to these kids. Tomorrow I am joining a working bee over in Brunswick to make cloth bags for Rainbow Comfort packs being organised by Monica at Beyond Pink and Blue. We have donated Gluten free food for the Diamond Creek relief centre, and new clothes and sheets as well.

It doesn't feel like it's enough.

5 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I had that horrible smoke smell in my susburb thismorning too. Such a sad reminder.

Lynne said...

I wonder if any of us will ever feel like we've done enough!

Nikki said...

I don't think we'll ever feel we could do enough...

But you did a LOT of overlocking today!! WHat a champion! Thank you for coming to the sewing bee. Great to meet you and I really appreciated all your time and effort. 80 bags, 22 t-shirts and 21 hair ties were finished. MOre bags went home with people to finish later and post back.

PrincessPea said...

That picture does look eerie. People can only do what they can do in a situation like this - it's great that you did what you did.

Juddie said...

Hi Leonie,
I took almost exactly the same photo last night - it's a horrible beauty isn't it?
I'm so sorry I wasn't able to make it to the sewing be - I had really wanted to be there. I will continue making toys, bags, quilts etc. when I get back.
much love to you all,
xx J