Sunday, December 28, 2008

A quick round up!

Had a fabulous Christmas, lots of fun and laughter. Happy kids needing to reminded on a regular basis that rules do still exist. Lots of time spent with family and friends. A lovely holiday season!

I finished the quilt yesterday and it has been gifted today to a friend who had her three little boys at similar times to mine and lived across the road until recently. They are heading home to New Zealand in a couple of days to live permanently. I put this quilt together as a memory for her boys (5, 3 and 2) to remind them of where they were born.
The front
and the back
I always wonder if there is enough detail in these pictures so here is a closeup of the kookaburra on the front
and the fabric I used for the back.

All of the animals and the Australia are attached using vliesofix (?sp) and then sewn down. I raided my stash of Tonga Dimes Batiks for them all. The animals and the states were echo quilted by hand and the black sashing was machine quilted with a single line through the centre of each sashing piece to create a frame effect for each of the animals. I also used bamboo batting for it since it was the same price as wool batting and I thought I would give it a try. Oh and I've forgotten to measure it but each of the coloured squares was supposed to be 25cm square with a 2 cm sashing piece between so it should be about 110x110 cm. Near enough anyway!!

On Christmas Eve I realised I was two birthday presents short so I also managed to fit in the construction of two birthday gift scarves that I crocheted using this pattern from Knit and Tonic. Of course I managed to forget to take pictures so will have to wait until I can persuade both my niece and my sister in law to provide me with pictures. Oooppps! Imagine a pale blue silk for my gorgeous sister in law and a hot pink alpaca/kid mohair/merino one for my 8 year old niece. Pictures will come in time, I promise.

Still working on the cardy for our friends new addition and still have to find the rest of the house and make some camp bed sheets.

Getting there!!! Hope all of your holiday crafting is going well.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Lovely quilt. Just lovely. Beautiful work.

I'm sitting here telling myself "Every last animal on that quilt is poisonous." and laughing, even though I know it's not true.

The koala is particularly cute, I think.

kgirl said...

beautiful keepsake quilt for those boys to take to NZ.

did you like the bamboo filling?

Amelia said...

that is fabulous. i love the abstraction of the animals, really graphic.