Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A surf sock and a holiday

Well after blogging 31 days in a row we went on holidays and were computer free for 4 days straight....talk about cold turkey!

We had a lovely time lots of beach time, lots of knitting time, which leads me to the surf sock. My first sock has been dubbed the city sock since it was knit at home, the second sock was started and finished while at the beach so of course the photos are:

at the beach house (city sock on right, surf sock on left)
and at the beach
The weather while not perfect EVERY day it was pretty darn good! The kids had a ball as did their dad (if you ever go to a beach and there's a dirty great big hole you wouldn't want to fall in in the dark, there's a fair chance J has been there first!) The grandparents were, as usual, the perfect hosts and amazingly tolerant of having three kids 5 and under running not quite completely mad in their house.

Vital statistics on the socks? Colinette Jitterbug in the Lagoon colourway, knit on 2.5mm dpns (my great grandmother's) using the pattern on the ball band. Started Monday October 27, finished Monday November 3rd, 2008.

If I was to make them again, I would cast on less stitches for the leg section as they are a hint loose and after leaving the instructions at home for the cast off, had to do it from memory and so here's the extra bonus of the cast off, I remembered it!!!! Would attempt a different way of doing the heel too, just to see what it looks like :-)

Very happy with them. Have just bought some yarn to make my Nana a pair of socks for
Christmas, they come with their own pattern so maybe I'll try that....I think I might be a little hooked on socks I kept thinking about the bits and pieces of yarn I have lying around that I might be able to convert into small socks...

4 comments:

Georgie said...

Is that the fastest pair of first socks ever? They look fabulous, well done! And extra bonus points for remembering the cast off ;-)

Lovely time at the beach, I'm very envious.

Bells said...

Wow, great socks. A very happy pair.

I learned a dutch heel a while ago - it's similar to a regular heel flap but makes a nicer shape, I think.

Michelle said...

Those socks look great! Do you think the surf sock will always look relaxed and suntanned?

Lynne said...

Lovely socks, lovely colourway.