Wednesday, September 3, 2008

7 Hats in 7 days: Day #5

Hat #6 is complete, sewed it together just before kinder pickup and took several pics trying to get a good one. Vital stats: Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino (55% merino wool, 33% microfibre, 12% cashmere: this one was a left over ball from making H a cardy when he turned 1), it is a beautiful dark grey and feels gorgeous in the hand. Knits as a 4-5 ply on 3.25 mm needles, have made a prem size. Bought it from Sunspun a few years ago, it is colour #207 on this colour card.



and just to show off the gum nut effect...



Completion of this hat leaves me with just one to make in just over two days...easy you say...well not quite. The next one is for J and apart from being knit in 4 ply alpaca (millions of stitches required) I have forgotten to measure his head :-(

So I called him to ask if he knew what his head measurement was, nup doesn't know. Asked if he had a measuring tape he could use to measure his head for me, nup works in an office full of computer (nerds) people (just occurred to me I should have asked him if he knew if anyone there knits but the chance of that is pretty slim anyway). It did occur to us both that he has a hat that he wears (dodgy acrylic thing-big yuck from me-hence the alpaca) and he could measure that but he didn't have a ruler on him, so he's going to email me the answer.

And the answer is 62 cm which according to all of the patterns I have and can find on ravelry means he either measured it a bit wrong or he has a real boof head as the average is 59 cm!! Checking the tag resulted in "one size fits all" and "Made in China" so it looks like I either guess (not a fan of that idea) or wait for him to come home. Today is Wednesday so normally that would mean close to midnight (boys night) but lucky me, he is due home about 4.45 pm because he has an event at Kinder with H, Father's night at kinder for Father's Day on the weekend so I will get to measure his head and get started about then, children permitting of course!

If I sort out the kids dinner now and do the dishwasher I will have more time later to knit so wish me luck!

1 comment:

Geoff said...

If J has a 62cm boof head, then he's an even cooler BIL ;)

Nothing wrong with a boof head.